|Sikh man with open beard|
likes it or not.
In Sikhism or Sikhi , Mainly there are three things why we don't shave our beards or any hair of body.
1. Primary Reason: Its Sikhism, Its Code of Conduct. Dishonoring one’s hair is one of the four cardinal sins, which the Guru has told a Sikh never to commit. A Sikh doesn’t disfigure their hair from head to toe because Guru jee told us to keep sanctity of Kesh (hair). Nothing else matters. A Sikh does what their Guru told them to do.
mweI siq siq siq hir siq siq siq swDw ]
bcnu gurU jo pUrY kihE mY CIik gWTrI bwDw ]1] rhwau ]
“O mother, True, True True is the Lord, and True, True, True is the Guru.
The Word, which the Perfect Guru has spoken, I have tied to my robe. ||1||Pause||”
|Mughals carrying the heads of Sikhs to market to collect their price|
We honor our ancestor that gave their heads but reject to cut their hairs and leave Sikhism .
They accept Death and torture rather than converting to Islam.
History said a reward of
- Rs 10 were offered for supplying information to the whereabouts of Sikhs.
- Rs 20 for pointing out a Sikh
- Rs 50 for bringing the head of a Sikh.
- Rs 80 or 100 for bringing in a live Sikh.
|Bhai Taru Singh head was scalp off|
After that, in the evening time, the Governor can't pass his urine. All specialists done their best, but there was no effect on the governor. Then governor sent Bhai Subheg singh to the Head of "Dal Khalsa" to seek pardon. The head of Dal Khalsa said that his Urine can pass if his head will hit with Shoe of Bhai Taru Singh, But he will Die before Bhai Taru Singh.
And the Sayings of that True Sikh fulfilled. When the governor's head was hit with Bhai Taru Singh's Shoe then he can pass his urine. But he dead before Bhai Taru Singh at July 1,1745.
In those days Sikhs were persecuted because they were considered infidels by Muslims & today Sikhs become victims in the United States because they are confused with Muslims.
3. Tertiary Reason: From the scientific point of view, keeping hair is practical because hair has many functions. It traps an insulating layer of still air just outside the skin, and thereby keeping the head cool in summer and warm in winters. Furthermore, hair absorbs harmful ultra violet radiations from the sun and reduces skin cancer. In addition, hair follicles can make androgenic hormones. Axillary hair provides larger surface area for evaporation of sweat. Although Sikhs do not need scientific explanations to keep hair, it is important to note that scientific explanations do indeed exist.
- Keeping kes / hairs intact honors the creator's intention. Hair is a birthright inherent in the creator's design. Each hair grows to a specified length as per individual genetic disposition before falling out and developing a new hair in it's place.
- Keeping kes / hairs honors the Sikh code of conduct. SRM stipulates that hair is to be kept intact from birth onward and that code of conduct is to be followed through out life until death.
- Keeping kes / hairs identifies one as a Sikh. Hair is a visible identity which distinguishes the Sikh and Sikhism as distinct from all other religions and walks of life. Keeping hair intact encourages and gives support to fellow Sikhs.
- Keeping kes / hairs insures Sikh rights. The US Army granted exemptions to Sikh recruits who followed the Sikh mandate to keep hair intact. An Indian court upheld a decision which denied a Sikh scholarship to a girl who removed hair she plucked her eyebrows, on the basis that the SRM instructs a Sikh to keep every hair intact.
- Keeping kes / hairs vanquishes vanity. Keeping hair intact is a constant reminder to make conscious choices when facing the challenges of confronting ego.
- Keeping kes / hairs builds self esteem. Keeping hair intact allows one to experience courage, conquer fear, and realize unconditional love.
- Keeping kes / hairs honors truth. Hair like truth continually asserts itself despite what ever measure are taken to deny it. Whether plucked, shaved, or curled, or colored hair, the hereditary disposition and condition of hair cannot be changed or concealed, for hair always returns to it's original genetic growth pattern.
- Keeping kes / hairs benefits body and soul. Hair is prayer. Kes acts as a subtle spiritual antenna. One who keeps kes intact, practices meditation and achieves humility comes to know the benefit of kes which can never be realize if hair is severed. It is written in Guru Granth Sahib Sikhism's holy scripture: